Information We Collect
We collect information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Services. We may combine information collected from or about you from these various sources.
- Information We Collect Directly From You. We collect information about you directly from you. The information we collect varies depending on your interaction with our Services. For example, if you register to use our Services, we will collect your email address, username, and password. If you pay for our Services, we will collect information to process your payment, including name, payment card information, and billing address. We will also collect any other information that you choose to provide to us through our Services, such your name, profile picture, company name, biography, location, and other profile information; your name, email address, company, title, and the contents of your message if you contact us through our Site; or your responses to survey questions.
- Information We Collect from Third Parties. We may collect information about you from third parties. For example, if you login to our Services through a third party account (e.g., GitHub), we may collect your name, contact details, photo, company details, and other information from that third party.
- Information We Collect Automatically Through Our Site. We automatically collect information about you through your use of our Services, including (but not limited to) your IP address, the type of browser you are using, domain name (including path and query string), the website or application that led you to our Services, the website or application to which you go after leaving our Services, the dates and times you access our Services; the device you are using; operating system; device identifier; preferred language; and mobile network information. Our Services contain an automated system for collecting and reporting usage data to us, such as the containers you connect with and the number of nodes you have. We may also utilize third party software to collect usage information. We may combine automatically collected information with other information that we collect about you. Please see our Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms section below for more information about tracking, and our Your Choices section for more information on how to opt out of sharing certain types of usage data.
- Your Data. We have no control over the data you store or manage through the Services, and our Policy does not apply to your use of the Services or management of data through the Services.
- Sensitive Data. We do not intentionally collect sensitive information, such as Social Security numbers, genetic data, health information, or religious information, and you should not integrate or store such data with our Services. If you store any sensitive information in your Kontena account or process any through our Services, you are consenting to our storage of that information on our servers, which are distributed across the United States and Europe.
How We Use Your Information
We may use your information, including personal information and Content (defined below), for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving Our Services. To provide and maintain our Services; to improve our Services; to develop new features, products, or services; to authenticate users; to process payments; to fulfill user orders and requests; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; to monitor and protect the security of our Services; and for other service- and support-related purposes.
- Marketing and Communications. To communicate with you (including by email) about your account and use of our Services, including to send you product or service updates; to respond to your inquiries; to provide you with news and newsletters, special offers, promotions, and other information we think may interest you; and for other informational, marketing, or promotional purposes. Please see “Your Choices” below for more information about communications from us.
- Research and Analytics. To analyze how users interact with our Services; to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends; and for other research, analytical, and statistical purposes.
- Legal Compliance. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority.
How We Store Your Information
We will store your personal data as long as is necessary for the mentioned purposes.
Personal data processed based on legitimate interest, and will be stored for as long as We have a business need for the data or We no longer have a legitimate interest in the processing the personal data which prevails over your freedoms and rights. Processing based on consent is stored until you opt-out, and is deleted, unless it is retained for Our legitimate interest referenced above.
How We Disclose Your Information
- Kontena Users. We will disclose your information to other Kontena users as necessary to provide our Services. For example, if you upload stack files to our Services and do not label it as Private User Content, as defined in our Terms of Service, then those stack files, along with your public profile, will be available to other Kontena Users.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your information to our vendors, service providers, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we may disclose your information to third-party service providers to process payments on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose your information to another entity in connection with, including during negotiations of, an acquisition or merger, sale or transfer of a business unit or assets, bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
- Legal Compliance. We may disclose your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, or other purposes.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
- Clear GIFs, pixel tags, and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer's hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
- Do-Not-Track Signals. Our Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please see https://allaboutdnt.com/.
Third-Party Analytics and Tracking
- To learn more about Segment’s services, please visit their website.
- To learn more about Hubspot’s services, please visit their website.
For example, currently we work with AdRoll to display targeted ads to our users on our Services and on third party websites. For more information about AdRoll, see https://www.adroll.com/about/privacy, or to opt out from their ad network, visit http://info.evidon.com/pub_info/573.
Users in the United States may also opt out of many third-party ad networks (including AdRoll). For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and your choices regarding having information used by DAA companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and your choices regarding having information used by NAI members.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the above companies will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any advertising through our Services or on other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads), or from companies whose networks you have not opted out of. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA or NAI websites, your opt out may not be effective. If you use multiple devices, you will have to opt out on each device. Additional information is available on the DAA’s website at www.aboutads.info or the NAI’s website at www.networkadvertising.org.
We have taken steps to help protect the personal information we collect. However, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your device and account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may access, modify, or delete the personal information that you have provided to us by logging into your profile settings or emailing us at email@example.com with what you would like updated. Please note that we may retain certain information about you as required by law or as permitted by law for legitimate business purposes, even after you have modified or deleted it. For example, if you request that we delete your information but we believe that you have violated our Terms of Service we may retain information about you in order to attempt to resolve the issue before deleting it. We may also retain information for a period of time as part of our backup procedures.
Inquiries regarding processing of personal data and access requests shall be directed to the point of contact provided below.
- Opting out or Managing Email Communication Preferences. We may send periodic promotional and informational emails, as well as newsletters and surveys to you, about our Services and other products, services or information we think may interest you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email or update your communication preferences by clicking on the manage preferences link contained in the email. If you have a Kontena Account, you can also manage your email communication preferences in the Communications page of your account. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving promotional and information emails from us, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
- Updating, correcting and deleting your information. If you have a Kontena account, you may at any time update, correct or delete personal information you have provided to via Kontena Account settings.
- Opting out of Reporting Statistical Usage. As described above in our Information We Collect section, our Services report anonymous usage stats to Kontena. This feature is turned on by default, but you can disable this feature by following the instructions here: https://kontena.io/docs/using-kontena/telemetry.
- Making Your Content Public or Private. Any Content will be publicly available by default. To make your Content private, you can mark it as Private User Content.
You have the following rights:
- You have the right to request access, correction and deletion of your personal data.
- You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data and have the processing of personal data restricted.
- You especially have an unconditional right to object to having your personal data used for direct marketing.
- If the processing of your personal data is based on consent, you have a right to withdraw your consent at any time. Your withdrawal will not affect the legality of the processing of your personal data up until the withdrawal time.
- You have the right to receive your personal data, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format (data portability).
- You have the right to file a complaint with a supervisory authority.
You can exercise your rights by submitting a request to our data protection officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests to access, change, or delete your information will be handled within 30 days.
Our Services are not targeted to children under thirteen (13) years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will promptly delete such personal information from our systems.
Transfers of Your Information
Any information you provide to Kontena through our Services will be transferred to the United States, which may not guarantee the same level of protection of personal information as the jurisdiction in which you reside. By using our Services, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to the United States.